Archive for August, 2010
Pandora has to be one of my favorite websites. I have tried a few of the other streaming music sites out there but every time I come back to Pandora. If you like music I suggest you check this site out and if you like it pay the $36 for a yearly subscription. A few things I love about Pandora.
- Selection of music is great
- Adobe Air desktop application
- Android application
- Does not cost a ton for a yearly subscription.
If your not big on using flash interfaces to listen to your music a few dedicated people have written a CLI for Linux and an XBMC plugin both of these apps are underdevelopment but very good.
1. Pianobar is the cli application and it can be found here http://github.com/PromyLOPh/pianobar, Debian testing also has build for easy install.
2. The XBMC plugin can be found on the forums here http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=70471, works great for playing stations some features still under development but I am extremely happy that I can have on XBMC!
Remember the Pandora team needs to pay their employees and royalties so if you find yourself frequenting the site pay the $36. There are also a few upgrades you by paying for the sites, better quality streams, unlimited streaming, and the satisfaction of knowing your keeping a great site online.
Pandora team if you read this, you rock, keep up the amazing work!
This is just a short review of the webcam I picked up. As lots of people know getting hardware that will work with Linux can sometimes be a real pain in the butt. I have been using this camera with Debian testing amd64 for skype and flash. This camera has really impressed me its microphone is great and the video is great quality. The only real issue I have with this camera is that it does not want to stay hooked on the top of my laptop screen, I will admit I should have gotten the laptop model.
Some specs about the Pro 9000
- Carl Zeiss optics with autofocus
- 720p HD video and 2MP sensor
- Logitech Rightlight 2 Technology
- Built in microphone
Here are a few links to check out if you are in the market for a webcam for Linux.
Information about UVC http://www.ideasonboard.org/uvc/
List of Logitech Cameras that are UVC http://www.quickcamteam.net/devices/logitech_uvc_device_list.pdf
Link to the hardware reviewed http://www.logitech.com/en-us/webcam-communications/webcams/devices/6333